Each year, there are more than 20,000 electrical fires in homes across the U.S.
And the fact is, many of these electrical fires could be prevented – with just a few safety precautions.
If you have an older home, you might not have GFCI outlets in your kitchen and bathrooms (or really, any place where you have water). GFCI stands for ground fault circuit interrupter and it basically means it will stop the flow of power if there is moisture or liquid sensed.
It’s easy to overload your outlets and have them plugged in with extension cords or other adapters that allow multiple devices or lamps to be plugged in. But fight that urge! Each outlet is designed for a certain amount of electricity and overloaded outlets are a risk for electrical fires. If you need more outlets, have them installed!
If you have things like furniture, curtains, or any other flammable item near your outlets, make a point to move it today. Outlets – and the things plugged in to them – give off heat and sometimes sparks so it’s best to keep them as uncovered as possible.
If you have things plugged in that you don’t constantly use, it’s time to unplug them! Even if the device or appliance is turned off, it is still pulling some power – and power can mean a chance of fire.
If you have questions about your home’s electrical outlets, we can come out and do an inspection. Contact us today and let one of our experts explain your options.